top of page
  • Writer's pictureWWH

Does a Finished Basement Add Home Value?


Many sellers and homeowners contemplating selling wonder if finishing their basement is a valuable improvement. While finished basements add value, they may not be the best investment compared to main-floor living space and above-grade bedrooms. Adding a main-floor addition can be more valuable, although it can be more expensive.



The decision to finish your basement depends on your lifestyle, local real estate market, and goals. For example, if you're a movie buff and don't plan on selling soon, building a home theater in the basement can be worthwhile. On average, you can expect a 70% return on investment, and the enjoyment you'll get from the space might outweigh the remaining 30%.


There are three primary types of finished basements: walk-out basements, standard lot basements, and garden-level lot basements. Walk-out basements, with natural light and outdoor access, are most appealing to buyers. Standard lot basements lack natural light and are less attractive, while garden-level lot basements are a middle ground between the two. It's important to consider these factors when deciding on a basement renovation.

Opmerkingen


bottom of page